Moscow
Harvard
Bologna
Sydney
Previous
Create a Discussion
Next

Online courses and myths about them

Some people say online courses are the effective and convenient way to get a degree. While others consider them noneffective, and they will never be as competent as learning at a real university.
Dear friends lets discuss this vital statement and share your thoughts.
Discussion is started by Tobias Schenke09.06.2017 430
Answers
Tobias Schenke
#1, 09.06.2017
ReplyRate the answer:1
Is online learning easy?
Fu Lei
#2, 09.06.2017
A reply to the answer #1 of user Tobias Schenke
Online learning isnt much easier as real education at the university. The only reason is that courses could be done at any convenient time, they also have some special requirments. There are the deadlines for papers and tests. A person strugles himself, has to focus and be self-discipline in order to successfully complete the course.
Cristina Parulava
#3, 09.06.2017
Dear Tobias, thanks for bringing up an interesting question. To my mind, online courses can be only effective when we combine them with traditional learning. Now, when online educational technologies are rapidly developing, the role of face-to-face communication with a teacher can become less important, but all the same, it cannot be neglected. The success of online courses also depends on a learner's personality, on how hard they work, how much time they devote to the learning process and on their self-control capacities, I suppose. So, we cannot say whether online learning is effective or ineffective, it depends on lots of factors.

Edited 09-06-2017 14:06

Tobias Schenke
#4, 09.06.2017
A reply to the answer #3 of user Cristina Parulava
Kristina, I agree with you. If we go further, how about the quality of education? Can we say so that it is lower?
Cristina Parulava
#6, 09.06.2017
A reply to the answer #4 of user Tobias Schenke
I think that, if the courses are developed according to modern education standards, there will be no problems at all with the quality.
Josip Babic
#5, 09.06.2017
There are certain things in Teaching that I like a lot and one of them is life communication and discussions with my students. I had the same attitude when I was a student. The communication, discussions that happen in the classroom are often becoming priceless moments of consciousness where students can experience real life and learn from this experience with the guidance of the teacher.

otherwise online learning seems to be a good opportunity to make the audience of the course bigger and take away the borders - that is really good.::smile1::
Jean Paul Buffet
#7, 09.06.2017
Talking about Online courses - do you get a special accreditation for them? Has anyone that experience?
Tobias Schenke
#8, 09.06.2017
Another interesting question is cribing and cheating during tests. What can be done with it?
Fu Lei
#9, 09.06.2017
Cribing and cheating is possible during online learning in the way it could take place in a classroom. Most online tests are time limited. The material covered in the assessment is based on what students have learnt during the course.
As for me, I personally would like to know how the degree is usually accepted by employees?
Elina Dimitriady
#10, 09.06.2017
In my opinion, learning is always hard no matter it is on-line courses or usual study in real university. my colleague had studied in one european on-line school and then just went to that country to finish education and get her degree. It was very comfortable for her: she studied when and where she could.::smile2::
Igor Musikhin
#11, 13.06.2017
Well, from my point of view I would support and agree with Josip's statement - live communication is an essential point in studying and we all know it is not easy to provide it during online learning. Here I would mention the experience of KTH (Sweden). They managed to provide their online learners with 24 hour teacher guidance. KTH and their partner university in Australia agreed on 12 hour day shifts when a university teacher(s) is able to help a learner from one or the other university (country) solve his difficulty directly via skype. Also KTH developed special software enabling learners to have a joint platform for course discussion - part of the time the learner spends using the platform is transferred into credits. Taking into consideration my more than 21 year long experience I'd rather say the efficiency of online studies is often lower than the traditional ones.
Fu Lei
#12, 13.06.2017
Igor, excellent point, universities like KTH (Sweden) provide 24 hours support for distance learning and guidance on every specific issues. Today technical means have made distance learning fast, easy, and high quality.
Ekaterina Sindeeva
#14, 14.06.2017
A reply to the answer #12 of user Fu Lei
Hi, Lei! Fast - yes, easy - sometimes, high quality - not always ...
Fu Lei
#17, 14.06.2017
A reply to the answer #14 of user Ekaterina Sindeeva
Hello Ekaterina, probably you are right, but we can't deny the fact that e-learning market has began developing very rapidly over the last years. The number of students shows a upward trend. They have to pass exams to get the degree diploma. Many universities including Tsinghua University and Peking University give such courses.
Eugenia
Comment was deleted by the user 15-06-2017 at 16:57
Sergey Shaposhnikov
#13, 13.06.2017
Dear colleagues, I believe that on-line courses are, for sure, convenient for learners (access at the time convenient for the learner). Hopefully, such courses will not completely replace the traditional forms of teaching but this is a reality of the "digital times" we live in and universities should take it seriously. At the same time, I am quite skeptical concerning on-line degree programs that some universities have started providing. At the moment, I do not see any reliable approach to quality assurance of such programs.
Ekaterina Sindeeva
#16, 14.06.2017
ReplyRate the answer:2
A reply to the answer #13 of user Sergey Shaposhnikov
I totally agree. By the way, we wrote about this.
Tobias Schenke
#19, 19.06.2017
A reply to the answer #16 of user Ekaterina Sindeeva
Ekaterina, very interesting information! What is more important is that the speed of the problems' increase overtakes the speed of their solution.

Ekaterina Sindeeva
#21, 19.06.2017
A reply to the answer #19 of user Tobias Schenke
Thank you, Tobias. I think the same.
Tobias Schenke
#15, 14.06.2017
ReplyRate the answer:2
Right you are, if we look more carefully to the E-learning quality assurance, we will face the assessing and evaluation processes. No doubt, degree programmes are to be self-evaluated by the institution on the one hand, but on the other in European countries as well as in Russia, the external evaluation is provided by independent accreditation agencies. This activity is important in order protect legislative rights of educational organizations and to fulfill the students' needs.
Tobias Schenke
#20, 19.06.2017
By the way, its interesting to know how could a person submit an article to journal? What are the quantity and quality requirements to the manuscript? Formatting? Volume and number of characters?
Andrei Shumelev(club expert)
#22, 19.06.2017
ReplyRate the answer:0
A reply to the answer #20 of user Tobias Schenke
Replied to personal message.

Edited 20-06-2017 10:00