Create a Discussion

Language learning methods

What are the most effective ways of mastering foreign languages (especially when you have no opportunity to go abroad and immerse in the language environment)?
Let's vote and find out!

I think that the best and the fastest way to learn the language is to...

Maria Buklaeva(administrator)
#1, 26.06.2017
ReplyRate the answer:1
Unfortunately my english is not as good as I need. But I try to make it better. And I use all this ways and some other. Reading, listening, watching, use mobile apps. Try to speak. Very bad i think)))

Hope I will be able to read Arabic and Hindi soon

Edited 26-06-2017 16:21

Cristina Parulava
#3, 26.06.2017
A reply to the answer #1 of user Maria Buklaeva
Oh, don't worry, your English is very good now! Arabic and Hindi - that sounds great! I can't even imagine how to write in Arabic))) As for me, I've always been keen on the Spanish language, but, unfortunately, I never went beyond reading and some listening skills(( But may be some time I'll make a breakthrough in learning this language:) If we go back to our poll - I suppose, all these ways should be used combined because we can't practise our speaking skills without having some basic grammatic and lexical knowledge and, vice versa, if we have built up a rich vocabulary and learnt lots of grammar rules and exceptions, we have to use this somewhere - in oral or in written communication, or in training our ears, otherwise, this knowledge will remain passive.

Edited 27-06-2017 08:36

Azat Fattakhov(club expert)
#2, 26.06.2017
Unfortunately, my German and French are not as good as I am.. ::smile0::

I like reading jokes, watching entertaining or educational videos. Synergy. Learn the language and develop other skills at the same time. This way both skills will be stronger because of the emotional connection between them.

Edited 26-06-2017 14:44

Cristina Parulava
#4, 26.06.2017
A reply to the answer #2 of user Azat Fattakhov
Quite agree with you, Azat!

Andrei Shumelev(club expert)
#5, 27.06.2017
All in all, all the ways mentioned above are very usefull in learning a foreign language. This process enables your memory develop on the one hand but on the other a person develops communication skills. I am sure the best way is to read authentic papers, listen to native speakers and have oral practise. As for me, I also find the idea of reading pun and humor stories. Sometimes it's dificult to understand but the process of understanding includes mental perception of the material, then transforming the idea to some common situations from your own culture and then finally getting the authors humorous idea.

1) Santa’s helpers are known as subordinate Clauses.
2) Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was brilliant!
3) A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two-tired.
4) Reading while sunbathing makes you well red.
5) I am reading a book about anti-gravity. it is impossible to put down.
6) What part of the military do babies belong to? The infantry.
Cristina Parulava
#6, 27.06.2017
A reply to the answer #5 of user Andrei Shumelev
Great jokes, Andrei! By the way, you can share some funny linguistical stuff here
Daria Surova
#7, 27.06.2017
I believe that one of the best ways to learn English is to communicate with a native speaker. The teachers of D.Serikbaev EKSTU have such an opportunity. The university tries to invite foreign teachers. Courses and seminars are organized with their participation.
Igor Musikhin
#8, 28.06.2017
Oh, well, a rather contradictory survey. The surveyors are mixing two topics: mastering and learning foreign languages. These ones are quite close but not the same.
LEARNING. From my point of view, the key issues here are:
- strong desire of a learner;
- professional and charismatic teacher/tutor or advisor;
- learning materials of high quality (textbooks, dictionaries, workbooks, audio- and video stuff, podcasts, etc.);
- reading adapted books;
- knowing simple memorization techniques;
- regular communication with people sharing your interests (e.g. English Club).
MASTERING. Here I would point out the following essential types of activity:
- teaching the subject to others;
- reading books (right ones are by Ian Fleming, John Grisham, Irwin Shaw, Jojo Moyes and others);
- watching documentaries and films;
- listening to news;
- communication (both oral and written);
- writing articles to professional journals published in English;
- attending ESP courses;
- travelling (if there is such a possibility);
- use of English in everyday activities.

Cristina Parulava
#9, 28.06.2017
A reply to the answer #8 of user Igor Musikhin
Oh, thank you very much for the exhaustive answer! You've provided a really impressive list of what we have to do when dealing with a foreign language. Could you tell us how many foreign languages you can speak or use in any other way in your professional and everyday activities?
Igor Musikhin
#10, 28.06.2017
A reply to the answer #9 of user Cristina Parulava
Kristina, that is a very good question. As a rule speaking and using foreign languages in one’s professional area is often uneven. If we are talking about professional field, my basic language of international communication is English. In everyday life, like many others, I can speak one more European language.
However, thanks to IT technologies, right now the impossible became possible and at our University we do, or I’d rather say have to use Chinese, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and French when corresponding with our over-sea partners.