Enjoy being a part of the successful and productive team.
Publication is placed in the group «International cooperation»
The Higher Education Commission of the Republic of the Philippines and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation signed the Memorandum of Understanding on Higher Education
After more than a decade of negotiations, cooperation in higher education between the Philippines and Russian has been reached with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Higher Education between the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) of the Philippines and the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation on the sidelines of the 31st ASEAN Summit at the Philippine International Convention Center, Pasay City.
CHED Commissioner J. Prospero E de Vera III and Deputy Minister Lydmila M. Ogorodova of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation signed the historic agreement witnessed by Philippine President Rodrigo R. Duterte and Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
The higher education agreement was one of several documents signed between the Philippines and the Russia Federation after the bilateral meeting between President Duterte and Prime Minister Medvedev at the Coconut Palace on November 13, 2017.
While internationalization of Philippine higher education has grown stronger in recent years, the country’s engagement with the Russian Federation on higher education has paled in comparison to the other western counterparts.
No further formal exchange of communication has transpired to strengthen ties on higher education between the two countries since 2004 despite the interest of education officials and leading Philippine universities to link with their counterparts in Russia.
The visit of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte to Russia in October 2016 cemented good relations between the two states especially in higher education. Since the visit, communication between Russia and the Philippines on a possible higher education became constant and robust and concluded with the signing of this vital agreement.
Both countries agreed to undertake the following through the MOU:
1. Promote cooperation in the field of higher education and professional training of scientific and pedagogical personnel, faculty and professors in recognized universities and institutes of higher education;
2. Exchange of faculty, administrative and management personnel and students between recognized universities and institutes of higher education of both countries within the framework of jointly defined cooperation programs that will have a mutual benefit for both countries;
3. Encourage direct cooperation between recognized universities and institutes of higher education in both countries through the conclusion of agreements between them;
4. Exchange of information on the system and structure of higher education in both countries, the qualifications of higher education, the educational standards of higher education, and the evaluation of performance results;
5. Facilitate discussion on a possible Agreement between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the Government of the Russian Federation on mutual recognition of education, qualifications and academic degrees;
6. Exchange of methodological literature, teaching aids, information on cooperation opportunities for research in higher education;
7. Exchange of training programs for recognized universities and institutes of higher education and promotion of participation in educational congresses, conferences, seminars, symposiums, training courses and exhibitions.
Both higher education ministries also agreed to create a Joint Working Group (JWG) to facilitate the implementation of the agreement and will meet alternately in the Philippines and Russia for this purpose.
J. PROSPERO E. DE VERA III
Photos taken from the Presidential Communications Operations Office