Konstantin ak63, WikiCommons
Geography. The region is located in the southeastern part of European Russia, in the middle reaches of Volga, on its both sides. Its area is 53,600 km². It borders the Saratov and Ulyanovsk Regions, the Orenburg Region, the Republic of Tatarstan as well as Kazakhstan. Due to the proximity of the West Kazakhstan Region of Kazakhstan, a part of the Bolshechernigovsky District has the status of border territory.
Climate. Moderately continental.
- - 14°C in January
- +21°C in July
Economy. The main industries are mechanical engineering, metalworking, fuel, chemical and petrochemical industries, electric power engineering, non-ferrous metal industry.
Logistics. Samara is a major transport hub in Russia that provides the shortest routes from Central and Western Europe to Siberia, Central Asia, and Kazakhstan.
- The region is crossed by the national and regional highways: Е30, М5, А151, Р224, Е121, М32, Р228, Р226, Р178, Р225, Р227.
- Samara river port
- Samara Railway Station
- Kurumoch International Airport
- Samarskaya Luka National Park was founded in 1984. Its area is over 130 ha. The park occupies the territory of several districts and is divided into five forest districts. There are natural landmarks everywhere, such as mountains, caves, and mounds. There are also full-fledged museums, for example, Repin House or the Museum of History and Everyday Life.
- The Syzran Kremlin was built in 1683. Originally, it had five towers: four wooden towers and one stone tower. Only the last one has been preserved to the present day. There is a belfry at its top, under its dome vault. In front of the Spasskaya tower, an avenue with flowers was laid out, and a monument to the fallen soldiers was set up not far away. There is an active church in the Kremlin. It is a cultural heritage site.
- Tsarev Mound was first mentioned in 1636. It is located near the Volzhsky settlement. The unusual shape of the hill, resembling a feast table, made it an attractive place to stay for people of distinction. Among them are Peter the Great, Tamerlane, Stepan Razin, and others. The legends and real stories about the mound cannot be told apart anymore. There is a church nearby, directly above the sacred spring. Not far away, the traces of an ancient human settlement were discovered.
- Bogatyrskaya Sloboda is situated on the bank of the Usa River. The main wooden building is standing on a massive high foundation. The whole town is built in the style of Old Russian architecture: huts, towers, tower houses, and entertainment places. The national park is located nearby. For most of the year, the recreated boat with a bright sail is “parked” near the river bank.
The capital is the city of Samara, founded in 1586.
The city has a circus, a zoo, a philharmonic, and a lot of modern sports facilities. In 2009, Samara hosted the 8th Youth Delphic Games of Russia “Youth of Russia”.