Sergey Korovkin 84, WikiCommons
Geography. The republic is located in the piedmonts of the North-Western Caucasus. It borders the Krasnodar Territory in the west, the Stavropol Territory in the north and the northeast, and the Kabardino-Balkarian Republic in the east. In the south, there is a border with Georgia and Abkhazia running along the Main Caucasian Range. The better part of the republic is occupied by the mountains (around 80%). The republic has three zones: the piedmont plain, the piedmonts, and the mountains of the Caucasus.
Climate. The climate is moderately warm, with short winters and warm, long, and rather humid summers.
- - 3.2°С in January
- +20.6°С in July
Economy. Karachay-Cherkessia is an industrial and agrarian republic. The well-developed industries include chemical production, mechanical engineering and light industry, mining and woodworking industries, and animal husbandry. Tourism, mountain climbing, and resort activities are also very important to the region.
- Highway transport accounts for up to 60% of all the cargo and 80% of the passenger transportation in the republic. The republic is crossed by the important federal highways: А155, А156, А-155, А165.
- There are no civilian airports in the region. The nearest international airport is located in Mineralnye Vody.
- There is a railway station in the city of Cherkessk.
- The Shoana Church is located not far from Karachaevsk. This ancient Christian church was built in the 10th century right in the mountains. It is more than 1,000 years old. The cross-in-square church was built in the Byzantine style. From far away, you can see its white walls, literally bumping into the vault of heaven. The ancient church on Mount Shoana has many puzzles. And you should go to this beautiful place as soon as possible to solve them.
- The Arkhyz Resort is widely known in Russia thanks to its mineral water of the same name. In recent years, the Arkhyz village, where this mineral water is bottled, has been popular among adventure travelers.
- Holy Face of Jesus on Mount Mitseshta, discovered around 20 years ago, is considered a miracle by the faithful. The image resembles the Sinai icon. It is 140 cm long and 80 cm wide. You can get to the image using the installed staircase, and on your way back you can stop at the viewing platforms and admire the beauty of the mountains.
The capital is the city of Cherkessk, founded in 1825.
The city has the research institutes of economics, history, language, and literature, North Caucasian State Academy, Daurov State College of Culture and Arts, and Imam Abu Hanifa Islamic Institute.