Geography. The region is located in the south of European Russia, in the Pre-Caucasian region. The Stavropol Territory borders the Krasnodar Territory in the west and the southwest, the Rostov Region in the northwest, Kalmykia in the north and the northeast, Dagestan in the east, the Chechen Republic in the southeast, the Republic of North Ossetia—Alania, the Karachay-Cherkess and Kabardino-Balkarian Republics in the south. The area is 66,160 km².
Climate. The climate is moderately continental.
- -5°С (up to - 10°C in the mountains) in January
- +22…+25°C (up to +14°C in the mountains) in July
Economy. The main economic sector of the Stavropol Territory is agriculture. Other well-developed industries are light, food, mechanical engineering, metalworking, chemical and petrochemical industries, and tourism.
- Two international airports in the cities of Stavropol and Mineralnye Vody
- Stavropol and Mineralnye Vody railway stations
- Automobile transport is the most wide-spread mode of transport. The length of highways in the region is 7,530 km2.
- The Dwarfs Fountain in Pyatigorsk is also called the Tale or Granddads. After the new water pipeline was constructed in the city, the first fountain appeared in the public garden. In 1910, a complete composition consisting of a stone mountain and eight dwarfs protecting it was installed here. During the Great War, the fountain was partially destroyed, and it took five years to restore it. Now the territory around it is one of the favorite recreational areas for the city people.
- The resort park in Essentuki was built in the 19th century. Here you can drink mineral water from wells №4 and №17 for free and without restriction. The shady avenues are picked by resort visitors. In the younger part of the park, you can attend a party and dance. The notable landmarks are the mechanotherapy building, the Casual Encounters bower, fountains, Upper Nicholas Baths, and others.
- Lermontov’s Duel Place – a forest opening on the slope of Mashuk, where the writer was killed in July 1841. It is part of the Lermontov Museum Reserve. The permanent monument was set up in 1915. It is an obelisk with a wider bottom part in which Mikhail Yurievich’s bust is embedded. It is surrounded by a fence consisting of pillars and massive chains, with vultures sitting in the corners. It is 8.3 m and is made of dolomite, bronze, and concrete.
The capital – the city of Stavropol – is one of the largest cities in the North Caucasus and the North Caucasian Federal District. It was founded in 1777 as a fortress.
The city has a philharmonic, an organ hall, several concert organizations, and a circus.