Geography. The region is located in the East European Plain, in the center of European Russia. It borders the Kostroma Region in the northwest, the Kirov Region in the northeast, the Mari El and Chuvash Republics in the east, the Republic of Mordovia in the south, the Ryazan Region in the southwest, and the Vladimir and Ivanovo Regions in the west. In general, the relief is ridged and hilly, with numerous gulleys, especially along the banks of Oka and Volga, with karst here and there. The Trans-Volga Region is occupied by the Volga-Vetluga Lowland. The area is 76 624 km².
Climate. Moderately continental with cold and long winters and comparatively warm and short summers.
- - 12°С in January
- - 19.5°С in July
Economy. The main industries are mechanical engineering, chemistry, pig iron and steel, wood, pulp and paper, light, and food industries.
- The territory of the Nizhny Novgorod Region is crossed by the federal: М7, Р158 and regional highways: Р72, Р81, Р125, Р152, Р157, Р159, Р160, Р161, and Р162.
- Strigino International Airport in Nizhny Novgorod
- All main railway lines in the region are a part of the Gorky Railway. The main railway station “Nizhny Novgorod”
Lower Volga River Embankment
Bolshaya Pokrovskaya Street
- Reserve Museum of Pushkin “Boldino” was founded in 1949. It is located in the same-name village. The territory belonged to the Pushkin family for several centuries. The poet fruitfully worked here in 1830. Now the complex is an immense territory with 13 architectural sites. The furnishings of the Pushkin times were restored in the manor house. The museum holds events related to the poet’s works.
- Zheltovodsky Makaryev Convent is located on the left bank of Volga in the same-name settlement. It was founded in the middle of the 15th century. It has a rich history. It was given back to the church in 1991. The territory is surrounded by a towered fortress wall resembling the Kremlin architecture.
- Lake Svetloyar is located within the Voskresenskoe Povetluzhye Nature Park. Its area is approximately 12 ha. Its maximum depth is around 34 meters. It has an ideal oval shape. The water is clear. The Museum of Epochs is located nearby.
The capital is the city of Nizhny Novgorod, founded in 1221.
The city is located in the center of the East European Plain at the confluence of the Oka and Volga rivers. The city boasts more than 600 unique historical, architectural, and cultural sites. The main place of interest is Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin. The city also has a conservatory, a digital planetarium, and several parks.