Geography. The Kirov Region borders nine constituent entities of the Russian Federation (more than any other constituent entity of Russia): the Perm Territory and Udmurtia in the east, with the Komi Republic and the Arkhangelsk Region in the north, the Vologda, Kostroma, Nizhny Novgorod Regions in the west, the Mari El Republic and Tatarstan in the south. The area of the region is 120,374 km². The region has a hilly relief.
Climate. The climate is moderately continental.
- −13,5… −15 °C in January
- +17…+19 °C in July
Economy. The main industries are chemical and petrochemical industries, mechanical engineering and metalworking, food industry, metallurgical production, wood processing industry, electric power engineering.
Logistics. Kirov is a major transport hub.
- The federal highway A119 runs near the city.
- The Pobedilovo civilian airport
- The main passenger line of the Trans-Siberian Railway, the railway station in Kirov
- The Zhukovlyane round stones are located in the Kotelnichsky District not far from the village of the same name. These ancient stones were discovered in the 1980s in an attempt to dig a quarry. In 2012, the geologists counted and systematized the stones, and there turned out to be 1,330 of them.
- The Dinosaurs on the Vyatka dinopark is located in the town of Kotelnich. It was discovered due to the discovery of pareiasaurians’ skeletons nearby. The exhibition is in the open air. You can take a walk and take pictures near the dinosaurs’ stately figures. The Ti-Rex is in the center of the whole installation, but there are also not so highly touted exhibits such as protoceratops. There is a thematic café decorated in the style of the park.
- Lake Shaitan has an area of 2 ha. Its official depth is up to 12 m, although there are versions that the lake is up to 25 m deep. It is part of the Bushkovsky Forest reserve. The coastal area is swampy, with drifting islands running on the water surface now and then. On the big islands, there is a room for up to five people. There are several legends about Shaitan, including a legend about swimming in the lake as a punishment used in the epoch of serfdom.
The capital is the city of Kirov, founded in 1374.
The city is situated on the Vyatka River, 896 km from Moscow to the northeast and is one of the oldest cities in Russia.
parks and public gardens
- Museum “The Dymkovo Toy: The Past and the Present”