Geography. The region is located on the border between the European and Asian parts of Russia. It borders the Sverdlovsk Region in the north, the Kurgan Region in the east, the Orenburg Region in the south, and the Republic of Bashkiria in the west. In the southeast, Russia has a state border with Kazakhstan. The area is 88,500 km2. The relief consists of mountains and plains.
Climate. Moderately continental.
- - 16-18°С in January
- +17-20°С in July
Economy. The main industries are metallurgy, mechanical engineering, fuel and energy sector, civil engineering, and the agribusiness industry.
Logistics. The region has a well-developed transportation network owing to its geographical location on the border between Siberia, the Volga region, and Kazakhstan.
- The territory is crossed by federal roads: М5, А310, Р254, and Asian route АН7.
- South Urals Railway running through the region crosses the territory of the European and Asian continents. There is the Chelyabinsk railway station.
- The region has two federal airports: Magnitogorsk and Chelyabinsk.
House of Merchant Ryabinin
- Taganay Stone River is 6 km long, with stones instead of water. The scientists attribute the formation of the stone “flow” to the deglaciation that occurred in ancient times. If you listen closely, you can find the flow of real water under the pile of stones – this is the sound of mountain brooks. The stones of this amazing river are also anything but simple – they consist mostly of semi-precious aventurine.
- Lake Turgoyak is called Chelyabinsk Riviera – snow-white sand and crystal water make it similar to this popular resort. The lake is 34 meters deep. It warms up badly even in summer. The lake has a dozen islands, some of which have preserved their archeological sites. You can get them by hiring a boat, but you will have to row it because motor water transport is prohibited here.
- Ignatievka Cave is attractive to visitors not only because of its historical value but also because of its legends. During the tour, tourists get the opportunity to get acquainted with rock painting of the Paleolithic period. The total length of the cave is 545 meters, and there are plenty of sights on each leg of the journey.
The capital is the city of Chelyabinsk, founded in 1736. Chelyabinsk is considered the cultural capital of the whole region. It boasts plenty of museums, including museums of speed skating, postal service, military equipment, forest, and urban life. There are several art schools and photography clubs.
palaces and houses of culture