Specialist Degree. Training Of Specialists In A Particular Major
Training of specialists for careers in a particular field.
Training lasts 5 years for full-time study and 6 years for extramural study.
Students are admitted after completing general secondary education (school) or secondary vocational education (technical school) based on the results of Unified State Exams, universities' entrance exams, Olympiads.
Read more in the 5th issue.
Specialist degree is an academic degree traditional for Russia. It offers extensive education within a particular major, which is an apparent advantage.
For the first two years, students undertake general basic training in their field of study. Then they gain broad knowledge of a particular specialization that will be specified in their diploma, e.g., engineer, ecologist, lawyer.
After completing a Specialist degree, graduates can apply for a Master's degree, but on a contract basis only as it will be considered second higher education. They can also pursue a PhD degree.
Some majors in Russia do not require two-level training (Bachelor's degree – Master's degree), and others require longer-lasting training. For such fields, only Specialist degrees are available. It applies to future military officers, doctors, pharmacists, representatives of most art professions such as actors, directors, artists, producers, and other art professionals. However, Specialist degrees cover fewer fields of study than Bachelor's degrees.
Examples of Specialist programs
- Fundamental and Applied Chemistry
- Bioengineering and Bioinformatics
- Electronic and Optoelectronic Devices and Special-Purpose Systems
- Nuclear Reactors and Materials
- Electronics and Automation of Physical Installations
- Special Life-support Systems
- Chemical Engineering of Modern Power Materials
- Physical Processes in Mining and Oil and Gas Production
- Construction of Railways, Bridges and Transport Tunnels
- Design, Production and Operation of Rockets and Space Rocket Complexes
- Design of Aircraft and Rocket Engines
- Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
- Medical Biochemistry
- Medical Biophysics
- Medical Cybernetics
- Economic Security
- Theater Directing
- Creative Writing
- Sculpture Arts
- Painting and Fine Arts
- Film and TV Directing
- Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Protection
Specialist degree Vs Bachelor's degree
- Choose the field you would like to work in and the study program
- Single out a few universities that provide training in the program you need
- Examine the information on universities, namely:
- Years in the educational services market – take a closer look at successful universities with a long-standing history
- Positions in Russian and global rankings – look at subject rankings and rankings taking into account education/teaching criteria
- University reputation – read testimonials from compatriots or other international students
- Internships – a substantial part of the learning process
- Graduate employment rate – find out what partners the university collaborates with, what career opportunities it can offer
Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree in Russia are equivalent to bachelor’s degree and master’s degree abroad, respectively.